Occasionally, after I have had a shower and have left the bathroom, I will go back into the bathroom to find Oscar sitting in the tub, having his own bath. I think this is a little strange because in doing so he manages to get all wet since the tub is still wet. I guess maybe it is because the tub is still warm? I don’t know. I have tried to get his picture before, but usually when I leave the bathroom to get the camera, he hops out of the tub and follows me. This time, though, I heard him hop in, so I went in prepared.
It’s hard to name things. And by things, I generally mean babies and pets (and cars – apparently some people name their cars). I guess that’s why when people have names picked out for their baby, they sometimes end up changing it after they meet the baby. The name they liked didn’t suit the baby in real life.
When we got Rusty, it was clear that she was a Rusty. It took me about five seconds to name her. She just looked and acted like a Rusty. Since she passed away six weeks ago, we have been dogless. Today we brought home a new puppy, and the name I thought I was going to give her (Sydney), doesn’t suit her. Perhaps in a few days, the perfect name will occur to me.
I have recently been awakening early to go do chores in the morning. Anyone who knows me, knows that I would rather stay up late than get up early, so it is impressive that I have only slept in once in the two weeks I have been doing this.
I have, however, been able to see some very pretty sunrises during these weeks. Now that the sun gets up closer to 8, I am usually outside feeding the cows when the sun comes up. Usually I did not have my camera with me, but one morning I made it home while the sky was still all colourful.
Barn cats, that is. Not house cats. This past spring/summer we lost a bunch of our cats due to a combination of a mysterious illness, and our tomcats randomly disappearing. There were several litters of kittens born this spring which are doing quite well now, so hopefully the mysterious illness stays away and these ones stick around.
I tried to take their pictures, but that proved quite difficult since I apparently chose the hyper time of day to try. Then it snowed, so now they stay in the barn mostly. The weather people say that it is supposed to be nicer in the next couple days, so maybe they will venture outside and I can try again during a more sedate time of day.
It has been nearly two weeks since the last wedding of the year. Just last weekend, I texted Jolene and asked her what we should do with all this free time we now had on our hands. At the top of both of our lists was sleep. Hahaha. It was really fun being involved in all those weddings, but it has been nice to not have to think about flowers or cake or what kind of chocolate frosting to make or wheat bunches or does the ribbon match the napkins.
For the wedding that occurred two weeks ago, I made cupcakes. 200 of them. I can quite honestly say that I would have had a much more stressful time with these cake orders if it was not for Jolene, and for these cupcakes her sister, Kara, helping me. My kitchen table was covered in cupcakes that night. Brooklynn wanted chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting, and I was quite pleased with the end result. The frosting is definitely the kind that you could eat with a spoon if you had a chocolate craving that needed to be dealt with. And there were some misshapen cupcakes that are residing in my freezer for whenever I feel the need to eat a cupcake but don’t feel like baking. Hurray!
The wheat pile on the field is not the only wheat pile that I have recently created. Although, these ones are more like stooks than a pile of grain. Sara asked if I would help her come up with centrepieces for their wedding, and since it is fall, and there was an abundance of wheat out in the fields, we decided to make little wheat bundles. So, one Friday evening, we went out and cut down several thousand stalks of wheat.
The plan was then to arrange them into bouquets of about two or three hundred stalks each. I severely underestimated the time it would take to do this seemingly simple job, which resulted in a couple very late/very early nights the week before the wedding. The little stooks looked really nice, though, and very fallish, especially with the other flowers we used.
It may have seemed like I abandoned my little blog, but that is happily not the case. Just a short absence due to a very busy couple of weeks. A couple of weeks in which I mostly sat in the combine, and when I was not sitting in the combine, I was sitting in my basement making wheat centrepieces for Sara’s wedding last weekend. And now that I am not making centrepieces, I am baking 200 cupcakes for another friend’s wedding this weekend.
So, we ran out of bin space a couple hundred acres of wheat ago. Once it became quite obvious we were not going to fit all the wheat in to bins, we found a high spot on a field, made a circle of bales to keep the wheat contained and the deer out, and proceeded to make a giant pile. I don’t remember ever having to make a giant pile of grain before, so it was kind of exciting.